What are wrinkles?
Wrinkles are creases, folds, or ridges in the skin that appear as a natural part of the aging process. They typically appear due to the recurring movement of the facial muscles. This can be due to everyday movements such as:
There are other reasons that cause wrinkles, such as genetics, diet & lifestyle, sun exposure, smoking, dehydration, environmental factors, and medication.
What causes them?
In addition to some of the factors listed above, there are other issues that can create wrinkles. While constant movement of the face will cause facial grooves to appear, loss of elasticity can also create wrinkles. Exposure to UV light i.e.: sunbathing, tanning booths, and any outdoor activities, breaks down the elastin fibers that are in the skin which results in the appearance of wrinkles.
What are the types of wrinkles?
When it comes to wrinkles, there are various types that can affect their appearance and the area they appear in. Per researchers at the University Hospital of Liege, Belgium there are four distinct wrinkle categories:
- Atropic Crinkling Rhytids: Parallel fine lines that can occur on different areas of the face and body. They tend to disappear when the skin is stretched. These are most commonly associated with loss of elasticity.
- Permanent Elastic Creases: Creases in the skin that over time become permanent, especially combined with sun exposure. They occur particularly on the cheeks, upper lips and base of neck.
- Dynamic Expression Lines: These are caused by constant facial
muscle movement. They are commonly referred to as frown/smile lines and crow’s feet.
- Gravitational Folds: These folds are caused by the effects of gravity. This is what causes sagging or folding of the skin. The appearance depends on location and the thickness of the skin.
What are ways to treat them?
At Re:nu 180 Medspa, we offer a variety of treatments to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. These treatments are proven to not only reduce and prevent wrinkle formation, but also to smooth out existing wrinkles. These treatments are as follows:
- BOTOX Cosmetic: This is the #1 treatment known for smoothing out existing wrinkles. It is commonly used in the area between the eyebrows, and around the eyes. It stops the repetitive movement of muscles in the face.
- Dysport: This is a treatment similar to Botox, used in the same areas of the face as Botox. However, there are subtle differences between the two products. Dysport can sometimes produce a more natural looking result.
- Juvederm: The Juvederm family of fillers can provide up to 6-24 months of correction for moderate to severe facial folds and lip enhancement. We use Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Juvederm Voluma, and Juvederm Volbella to address various concerns.
- Restylane: The Restylane family of fillers can provide up to 6-12 months of correction for moderate to severe facial folds and lip enhancement. This family of fillers consist of Restylane, Restylane Lyft and Restylane Silk.
- Eclipse PRP: A microneedling treatment that uses PRP (platelet rich plasma) to repair collagen in the skin to improve elasticity.
Schedule a consultation
If you would like to learn more about how to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, schedule a complimentary consultation with us at Re:nu 180 Medspa. At our office, our staff will make sure that you get the best treatment available. All of our treatments are personalized to give you the best results possible. So don’t wait any longer, contact us or visit our Re:nu 180 office located in Southington, CT.